Jesus is the ROCK in our Relationships















Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In Paul's Good Company 6-12-12


“I want to do what is good, but I don't. 
I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.” 
Rom. 7:19

When feeling defeated in our own internal struggles we should take comfort knowing that we are in good company. “Constant battle” caused even Apostle Paul’s stamina and internal resolve to grow weary at times.

Let’s look at what Paul has to say in his own words:

“I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate…. And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.

 …I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.

Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.

Now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to Him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death…. 

Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.” Rom. 7:14-8:6

Paul’s take home advice for us? No matter what:


  • Stay intimate with Jesus (saturate our minds: pray, worship, & fall in love with His Word)
  • Obey His promptings (with accountability) 
  • Allow the Spirit to toil within (vs. personal determination)


Time is short.

"Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.” Rev. 22:12

In His love and strength,
Shaun and Betsy