Jesus is the ROCK in our Relationships















Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Building Friendship or Tearing it Down 7-31-12


“And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” Eph. 4:30


Consider our personal relationship with God amidst the backdrop of sin in this life, and let’s honestly ask ourselves this question:  To which do I gravitate most consistently, breaking fellowship with Him or building friendship with Him?

Grieving is involved in both conditions, the question is:
Am I grieving God because of sin or am I grieving with God over sin?

Check out these situations and observe the difference:

1. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and His heart was filled with pain. (Gen. 6:6) // They rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit. (Is. 63:10)

~God grieves, man cares not for the condition of God’s heart, chooses to embrace sin, which results in broken fellowship and consequences. ... And God is then blamed.

2. Until the day Samuel died, Samuel mourned for Saul. And the LORD was grieved that He had made Saul king over Israel. (1Sam 15:35) // Let there be tears for what you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief…Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up. (Jms. 4:9-10)

~God and believer grieve together over sin 
(personal sin or someone else’s) and 
together they foster a deeper friendship, followed by blessing, peace and joy.

Oh how God loves us.

   Do you think Scripture says without reason that the Spirit He caused to live in us envies intensely? (Jms. 4:5)

“You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in Your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!” Ps. 139:13-18 

Choosing to live for Him this week,
Shaun and Betsy