Jesus is the ROCK in our Relationships















Wednesday, April 7, 2010

In conflict, His way or my way? 3-8-10

“The arrogant have dug pits for me, men who are not in accord with Your law. All Your commandments are faithful; they have persecuted me with a lie; help me! Revive me according to Your loving-kindness, so that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.” Ps. 119:85-88

Persecutions come in 2 forms…those based on truth, and those based on a lie. Most often, persecutions based on truth have heart outcomes sounding something like this: “This hurts, Lord! But although it hurts to be misunderstood, I know that I am doing the right thing. Even though my personal reputation is being temporarily tarnished, people will see YOUR glory regardless of what they think of me or whether or not they believe in You.” Conversely, persecutions based on lies generally have outcomes sounding something like this, “Lord, good people believe this lie, and it tarnishes not only my own reputation, but YOUR glory and YOUR reputation is also being blemished.”

Do we see the significant difference? In the first scenario, God’s glory goes forth regardless, but in the second scenario, God’s reputation is tarnished. ~~Although this psalmist says his soul is languishing, his eyes are failing with longing for righteousness, and he is feeling “shriveled and good for nothing, like a wineskin in smoke”, he does not forget or forsake God in a weak moment. Instead, he pays careful attention to how he is responding to persecutions and chooses to stay consistently faithful. ~~ Can we say the same thing for ourselves when we find ourselves in a heated moment? How we respond tells us a lot about our personal walk with (or without) Jesus.

This palmist, in addition to his consistent choice of faithfulness, shows us just how he does it … when the heat is on. (Real life stuff, no theory here!) First, he recognizes his emotional state, then he freely and transparently admits it (even though it could be perceived as weak) and goes to God with it (rather than one of his friends). Next, he lays out his heart transparently before his Maker, and uses God’s own promises to lay back before God Almighty (i.e.: “You say in Your Word that You are always faithful, that You are the lifter of my soul, that You are the avenger of wrongs done to me, etc.).

The question is, do we follow this example? Or do we go to our own temperamental understanding when things get heated? ~~Well, wouldn’t you know it, within a day of studying this portion of Scripture, God chose to test Betsy with just this kind of scenario. ~~In short, a very abrasive woman came up to me and forcefully “asked” me for an immediate favor. I appraised the situation and told her that I would love to help her the rest of the day, but would be unavailable for the next 40 minutes. At this she “went vocal” in a very public manner, shaming me and my family for our lack of being team players. My response? Rather than get heated myself, I chose to believe that something most likely had got the better of her (like PMSing?), and stepped over the offense. Two hours later, she passed by me in the company of friends and shot another slighted comment across my bow. Still I chose to step over the offense. (Pro. 19:11 “A man’s wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook and offense.” Pro. 29: 11 “A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.”)

She continued with back handed moves, and I recognized that this was now something that had to be addressed. I waited until a time when she and I were alone and again apologized for not meeting her expectations, and shared with her why I was unable to jump at her request immediately. At this she flew off the handle, stated her mind, and with a loud laugh, turned her back and walked off towards her friends. ~~~ “Ok….Lord, what to do/not to do now? This is like being back in junior high!” I thought.

Well, days have passed, I’ve poured over Scripture, availed myself to God’s promptings, and now rest in knowing that God will handle the situation and guide Shaun and me as stuff transpires. Our personal reputation is His to uphold…and by not returning tit for tat, but taking the ‘high road’ as best we can so that His glory goes forth. (Oh, what a freeing feeling! For I’ve found that when I have tried to stand up for my own reputation in the face of lies, it has the opposite effect and actually makes me appear guilty.)

So whatever interpersonal relationship may have you in knots this week, draw close to the “Master of Relationship”, and He will guide you.
God bless you!
Shaun and Betsy